Medicare 101 for OMS
This course provides education on Medicare programs and policies that impact oral and maxillofacial surgeons and their staff. This self-paced program includes discussions of Medicare components (Part A, Part B, Part C and Part D), Medicare fraud and abuse, payment policies, appeal processes, and miscellaneous Medicare-related topics. There is a saying in healthcare – “as Medicare goes, so do the other carriers.” If you take the time to thoroughly learn the Medicare program, you will better understand your commercial payers, too.
- Differentiate between Medicare Part A, Part B, Part C and Part D.
- Identify actions prohibited by the False Claims Act (FCA), the Anti-Kickback Statute and the Physician Self-Referral Law (Stark Law).
- Explain Medicare’s enrollment options, including “opting out” of Medicare.
- Define fraud and abuse.
- Name provisions and penalties associated with Medicare fraud and abuse.
- Review how federal law regulations and Medicare polices impact the oral and maxillofacial surgery practices.
- Discuss the general steps of the Medicare billing procedures and appeals process.
- Cite future alternate payment models.
For optimal viewing, Chrome or Firefox are recommended browsers. As a reminder, your course access will expire in 60 days of registration or upon completion of the course.
Dawn Jackson, DrPH, RHIA, CCS-P, FAHIMA
Disclosure: Nothing to disclose.
Continuing Education Provider Approval
The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education.
ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons designates this activity for 7.0 continuing education credit(s).
AGD - Accepted Program Provider
Provider ID# 214680
The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons designates this internet-based enduring material for a maximum of 7.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
For AAPC credit, please contact the AAOMS Coding and Reimbursement Staff at (800) 822-6637.
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|